What kind of documentation do I need?
Before a student with one or more recognized disabilities is entitled to receive accommodations, according to state and federal regulations, the student will be required to submit comprehensive and current documentation of the disability from an appropriate and qualified professional. Some colleges require that the documentation be sent from the originating source (e.g. evaluating, licensed psychologist) so be sure to check with your particular disability service provider to determine what is acceptable. In all cases, documentation must be sent to the designated disability services office on the college campus and include the names and titles of the evaluator(s), as well as date(s) of testing.

If you are a student with a disability, and you wish to request accommodations, you must first provide documentation of your disability. For individuals with learning disabilities, this documentation must include a complete educational evaluation conducted by a qualified psycho-educational diagnostician or licensed psychologist. For individuals with physical disabilities and/or psychiatric disabilities, a comprehensive diagnostic report from a qualified physician is required. Be sure to check with the Office of Disability Services at your college for specific documentation requirements.

Currency of documentation varies according to each student's particular disability and must validate the need for services based on the student's current level of functioning. Typically, colleges will require that documentation for learning disabilities and Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder must have been completed within the past three years, within the last six months for psychiatric disabilities, and contain current information on the original diagnosis and present status for physical disabilities, as determined on a case-by-case basis.