The Americans with Disabilities Act: Getting the ADA Right
The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) is landmark legislation that extends civil rights protection to people with disabilities. Even though it has recently celebrated its 23rd anniversary, many people are still unfamiliar with its mandates that prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, state and local government services, public transportation, public accommodations, commercial facilities, and telecommunications.
The ADA Amendment was passed by Congress in 2008 and put into effect by the Federal Register in 2011. To increase the participant’s understanding of this Act and subsequent changes, the first part of this program will provide an overview of ADA Titles 1 to 4: Employment, Public Accommodations, Transportation, and Universal Access. Since the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) has recently targeted health care for employment issues, the second part of this program will focus on accessible health care and employment matters, exploring the topic from both the employer and provider viewpoint.
Upon completion of this program, the learn will be able to:
- Review Titles 1 to 4 of the American With Disabilities Act.
- Describe the American With Disabilities Act and federal agencies that are responsible for assistance and enforcement.
- Discuss the impact the ADA has had on employment and health care.
- Investigate why the Department of Justice has made ADA Enforcement a priority in governing public accommodations and state and local government services.
- Discuss how the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) enforces ADA regulations covering employment issues.
- Explore the reasons why the EEOC is targeting health care to assure the integration of persons with disabilities into the healthcare system.
The target audience is all interested professionals including but not limited to rehabilitation counselors, nurses, OT, PT, speech, recreation, and social workers.
Contact Al Guadioso for further questions @ (845) 786-4908.
Northeast ADA Center
Sponsor: National Rehab. Association
Location: West Haverstraw, NY