Critical to the employment success of individuals who receive public entitlements and disability benefits, is the extent to which they understand how their benefits will be impacted by earnings. This one-day course focuses on the impact of work on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), and how the Social Security Administration supports return to work of beneficiaries through the Ticket to Work and Self-Sufficiency Program.
Individuals participating in this course will learn:
- How earnings impact SSI and SSDI
- Resources available in NYS to assist in conducting benefits and work incentives planning and assistance
- What the Ticket to Work program is, and how it can help beneficiaries return to work
- Strategies for supporting beneficiaries in developing optimal employment plans to increase economic self-sufficiency
Individuals will be able to:
- Calculate how earned and unearned income affect both a SSI and SSDI check
- Explain to a beneficiary how their benefits will be impacted by work at specific levels, and create multiple work scenarios to show this impact
- Determine the work incentives that are most advantageous to supporting a beneficiary’s return-to-work
- Develop a work incentive support plan
- Locate and refer beneficiaries to locally-available credentialed work incentive practitioners and Employment Networks.
NYS Consortium for Advancement of Supported Employment